Car Seat Alteration: Car Safety Seats for Your Growing Children10 January 2020
Car manufacturers have been adding a lot of safety features for passengers all over the world. Seat belts, airbags, and other safety tools exist so that passengers are protected from any collisions and accidents on the road. However, a lot of young people or kids have been dying due to the lack of safety support for them. Even if cars have child safety lock mechanisms, these children are still exposed to different types of danger inside the car.
Due to the lack of safety mechanisms, third-party companies have allocated the time to create extra measures for safety. The design of car seats can be modified to further secure and ensure the safety of people, most especially for all growing children. With car seat alteration, car owners like you now have the reason to feel more secure than ever before. After all, your car must have the best child passenger restraint in the market right now.
Car Safety Seats Installation Tips
When altering the car seat for your growing children, you must remember these pointers for a more effective and safe ride for all of you.
- Children are the most vulnerable passengers in a car ride. So, for their safety, you must install a rear-facing car safety seat on the middle portion of your car. These car safety seats must not be placed in the front passenger seat since the impact of the airbag from a collision can be fatal to children on these seats.
- Follow manual instructions carefully. Most of the time, car owners ignore reading the manual instructions, making it difficult for them when accidents come. From reading the manual, you are assured that you know the way around the car safety seat and child restraint devices. Before taking your car on the road, make sure that you check the condition of all the parts and components of your whole car. The seat and seat belt system must be working fully.
- If you have infants, they should ride the vehicle at a 45-degree angle to prevent them from slumping and obstructing the airway. If your car safety seat is not adjustable, then wedge some firm roll of cloth or tightly-rolled newspaper under the car safety seat to achieve the optimal angle of 45 degrees.
- And if you opt to remove the car safety seat, your growing children must always seat on the rear vehicle seat. Front seats are dedicated to people that are high enough to see all sides of the road and can already be secured by the pre-installed seatbelts from the car.
Seat Placement of Children
Installation of car safety seats is not enough in ensuring safety among your children. You must still know how to position your children to avoid major or fatal injuries if ever accidents happen. Here are some guides about the optimal seat placement of your children.
- Your rear-facing car safety seats must have shoulder harnesses that would fit infants and toddlers. These harnesses should be placed in the slots at or below your children’s shoulders, while the retainer clip should be positioned at the level of your children’s armpit.
- If ever your car safety seats are forward-facing, then the shoulder strap should be above your children’s shoulders, harnesses should be snug, and the retainer clip should be positioned that is level with your children’s armpits. Forward-facing car safety seats can only be used by your children if their weight is within the maximum weight limit indicated in the manual.
Whatever the case may be, you should not leave your children unattended at all times. Even if they are seated correctly in your car, there should be at least one person who can see and take care of them. If you want to know more about car safety seats and how car seat alteration works, then give us a call now at Jamieson Auto Fit.